Monday, August 25, 2008

Tournament Directors

Well, I was surprised to see that chessmaine.net linked to this blog; I take it as a compliment.



Since I have a soapbox to stand on, I'd like to make a few comments about the tournament directors in Maine. They are by far the most under appreciated and unheralded group within the chess community. If not for the dedication of Phil Lowell, Steve Wong, Alba Briggs, Dan De Luca, Tom Sandford, and Lee Doucette, we would have no tournaments in Maine.



It takes time to put it all together to be prepared for a tournament, time to compile results, and time to know the rules that need to followed to make it a USCF rated tournament. In other forms of competitions, officials are paid handsomely; more often than not these TD's volunteer their time. I for one firmly believe that TD's should receive compensation for their work.



As an athletic director, I feel that it is well worth it to have certified officials for events. I also feel that it is important to pay my coaches as well no matter how small the stipend. The remuneration raises the responsibility of the responsible party and their jobs gain stature.



With these thoughts, I would like to promote the idea of compensation for these tournament directors. A set fee or $2-$3 an entry might be considered. Any thoughts?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I certainly think TDs should be compensated much better.3$ a head should be a minimum.The uscf fails terribly in this regard failing to compensate them in any way.Roger Morin