Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Back From St. Croix International

The trip to Perry was a long day that saw me run through the usual emotions of an up and down day. I felt great after two straight wins and heading into my third round match with Lily Briggs. An even game changed when I miscalculated an exchange and Lily played solidly all the way through. I was disappointed with the result and let it carry into my fourth round game with Nathaniel Simpson. The last round ended in defeat as well as I fell a pawn down in an exchange and never was able to recover.



I played the Stonewall in my openings and again felt frustrated with my execution. I will have to review my games to polish up my mistakes. My second round game was my best as I was able to wrest control of the center and keep the pressure on and that was with black!



Maggie gained seven rating points with two wins and playing higher rated opponents. I remained almost status quo losing one point. It probably will be a few three months before we compete in a rated tournament again.



Overall the tournament was a success. There were 18 participants of which five were from Canada. The venue is quite comfortable, and Alba Briggs does a great job hosting. Next year I hope that we can use Swiss Sys on my laptop to help with the pairings.



I hope that this event can continue to grow and help chess grow in eastern Maine.

No comments: