Thursday, December 31, 2009

The End of 2009 Starts A New Chess Adventure

Tonight I went to the Bangor Public Library to listen to my daughter Anna play the piano for an hour to help celebrate the end of 2009. While I was there, I was fortunate to talk to the activities coordinator and noticed that there had been a chess club for teens this fall. She was very interested in having a chess class or chess activities at the library. I felt that this was a good omen as I start to push chess in Maine over the coming months.

I would like to push chess into the viewing screen of the general public. I want to help existing chess clubs become more viable and to bring chess into new localities in Maine. I will need the help of many volunteers in achieving these objectives, but I think that we can do it without huge commitments. It should be fun and that will be the emphasis.

I also will be starting a new blog with the New Year: The State of Maine Chess. That will be my focus, but I'll still keep this going when I'm just talking about local chess. Thanks to all who have been supportive of Maine chess in 2009. Here's to 2010 being a great year for chess in Maine.

No comments: