Saturday, October 17, 2009

Tournament Proposals

I must comment on the proposed tournaments that Akagi Kayashima is presenting to the Maine chess community. I feel that it is great that Akagi is willing to promote new tournaments in Maine, but I also feel that it is presumptuous to assume that his proposals are what the members of the Maine Chess Association want as their championships. He may continue to present his vision of what MECA chess events should be like, but until the election is complete and the officers and policy board have agreed to these changes I feel he should not present them as actual MECA events.

Akagi obviously has some innovative ideas, but let's not be too premature in their presentation.

I will be supportive of any tournament directors that want to stage different types of tournaments, and I will actively help in making tournaments successful. I also wish to move slowly in changing the format of tournaments that are MECA sponsored state tournaments. My focus will be to work on increasing MECA membership and attracting more over the board players to tournaments.

Thanks again to all those who have contacted me with their support.

Andy

No comments: