Friday, October 9, 2009

The Future of MECA

As a candidate for President of the Maine Chess Association, I feel obligated to critique a letter written by Akagi Kayashima to the Maine chess community. Instead of restating his letter, I am offering a glimpse into how I would function as MECA president.

As president I would be forthright in any specific plans that I have in mind and would work with all directors and organizers in making Maine chess visible and player friendly. I would strongly encourage directors to look to all the counties in the state for venues to host an event. Then I would assist by providing insight into that specific area of the state and talking with clubs and individuals in that area about their interests and wants. I would advise Akagi on how to reach all the burgeoning chess players in the state and help him in the promotion of his tournaments. I will not be personally affiliated with any tournaments but would encourage all directors and organizers to see the value in being associated with the Maine Chess Association.

As far as changing the Maine Closed Championship, I feel that there is no need to throw the baby out with the bath water. The Closed Championship has been very successful when it has been consistent and rotated from Portland to Augusta to Bangor on a three year cycle. It can prosper again in this cycle by having it occur each year in late April to maximize interest among both the old guard and the scholastic champions who have just finished their scholastic season. It is the perfect time in Maine to hold the event and can continue to be so.

Let's also encourage chessmaine.net to expand their horizons and organize another tournament or two. If you haven't noticed, the Chessmaine.net Championship has quickly become the most popular tournament in the state. Kudos to Dan DeLuca for taking the bull by the horns and making this work. It's my belief that Dan should be closely involved in the future of MECA since he is the one who has re-energized the chess community through his unparalleled state website and fine tournament.

In regards to holding a major tournament at a gambling venue, I have reservations. Many of our active players are scholastic players who provide strong competition for the old guard. I am not in favor of holding a large tournament at a gambling venue in Maine particularly when we would like these strong scholastic players to be a part of the resurgence of Maine chess.

And on one final thought for the evening, I would not discourage other interested parties from holding events. Yes, there is a concern that too many will saturate an area in a given time frame, but this has yet to be a concern. I have yet to hear anyone say, "There have been too many events in the last month; I can't go to them all."

No comments: