Saturday, April 25, 2009

Post-Supernational Letdown

Since it has been almost three weeks since I last commented, it's obvious that there was a letdown after the big event: Supernationals. Letdowns bring out a bevy of emotions but then one realizes that it was a heck of an experience. Everyone certainly enjoyed their moments of a lifetime.

It's been disappointing that an event of this magnitude with 29 Mainers taking part did not get more press coverage. It does take someone to call the newspapers and alert them to the happening, and I suppose that I could do it as well as anybody. I plan on sending a wrap to the Bangor Daily News; it's always a question if I'll follow through or not.

I've been playing online a little bit again, mainly working on the Chess Tactics Server. I also have four games going on Gameknot. I do feel like I'm keeping my skills better than dull. I'm sure there will be a tournament in the future.

There's still no news on the Maine Closed Championship. There is a date for the Chessmaine.net Championship: Saturday, June 27. That has become the most anticipated event of the season for the Open crowd.

The rumor mill has it that Gabe Borland is deferring to Lucas McCain and letting him represent Maine at the Denker. Does anyone have any confirmation on that? If so, wow! Gabe had a great year and certainly has earned his right to be Maine's representative. He really enjoyed himself at the Supernationals in Nashville and already has been a terrific ambassador for Maine scholastic chess. Once again, congratulations to Gabe on his stellar senior season and to being a top sportsman.

No comments: